|BGS image ID: P000533|
The Ring of Brodgar is a stone circle enclosed by a ditch, and occupies a commanding position on a narrow strip of land between the lochs of Stenness and Harray, in the heart of the Orkney mainland. This is a close-up view of several of the standing stones, some of which may have been cut out of the underlying bed-rock, when the ditch was constructed. The surrounding ditch was originally as much as 3 m. deep in some places.
Date of photograph 1930.